Sunday, February 9, 2014

Balancing Act

Holy cow, the last two weeks have been crazy! After many years of being a SAHM and just freelancing as a writer, I went back to work full time as editor and writer for a local newspaper. I am thrilled at the chance to expand my career, but the challenge of working/parenting is kicking my butt. I now have a much larger amount of respect for moms who juggle parenting and working full time for years on end.

I have found myself looking in the mirror and wondering what am I trying to prove and who am I trying to prove it to this week? It is no small responsibility to raise children into decent little human beings. The SAHM is responsible for moral values, eating right and a host of other important jobs including the running of the household.

No I have chosen to add the running of a newspaper onto my already pretty full plate. I thought it wouldn't be too big a deal. But the reality is if you love what you do you really invest yourself in it. My husband yelled at me for checking my work mail in bed on Wednesday night. We have a rule that work doesn't come into the bedroom. And I almost violated that rule without even thinking for the first time ever!

My kids are feeling the transition too. The girls are used to having mommy for tuck in every night. On Thursday, I went from one job to another. I started out taking a training, came home to prep dinner, then went to the scene of a manhunt and finished my evening teaching a high level Zumba class. While I worked, my wonderful husband stepped up to the plate working 10 hours, running 3 miles, then doing homework and playing with the kids.

This week, my goal is to starting finding balance between work and family. I know women have been trying for a hundred years to achieve this goal, but I guess I'll join the struggle. I love being a mom, more than I ever thought I would, but as the kids get older I now find myself wanting to live a little more for myself.

We shall see what the next six months bring. Today, I am doing laundry and helping with a big school project. Tomorrow, it's back to work for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment